This recipe comes from Huz’s Mom and is one of our favorites this time of year because rhubarb is fresh and in season! I just made my first round of crunch today for dinner and thought I would share. I hope you enjoy this seasonal classic as much as we do. Also make sure you check out the “few tips” at the end of the post for the recipe variations. Lets get to it…
Topping – Mix together in a bowl and set aside:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt (like 1/16 of a tsp) literally a pinch
- 4 Cups of sliced rhubarb, set aside
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 TBLSP of Cornstarch
- 1 C. Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Zest of 1 lemon (the lemon part is optional but it adds good flavor).
Boil together sugar, cornstarch, water, vanilla and optional lemon zest until runs clear and starts to thicken. Watch closely, it happens quickly. Once it starts to thicken, remove from heat and add 4 cups of diced rhubarb (I do heaping 4 cups). See picture below.
Next, pour into a 9×9 pan, I grease it with a bit of pam. Then sprinkle the topping over the top and bake at 350 for 45 mins. See pre and post oven pictures below.
- Delicious served warm with vanilla ice cream …
- Variation: Sub the rhubarb for blueberries – also berry good! 🙂
- Variation: Add some fresh Michigan strawberries to the rhubarb mixture when they are in season (soon!!!)
Please let me know if you have any comments or questions! Enjoy ~ Megan